Advice required about connecting 2 monitors please

Have an Acer Aspire X1800 desktop and I want to connect a second monitor and any advice is appreciated.

Windows 7, NVIDIA GeForce G210 graphics, existing monitor uses DVI port and have VGA, HDMI ports available.

The NVIDIA GeForce G210 I believe will support two monitors but I'm not sure about whether I can connect the second to VGA or HDMI or if it needs to be DVI like the first monitor?

I need to know also if the PC needs to turned off when connecting the second one and is there a particular sequence things need to be done in?

Haven't been able to find the answers online.

Thanks in advance.

geek_russell.s.c, May 14, 8:16 pm

Use the HDMI port if the monitor supports it, no it doesn't need to be off. Yes the G210 will support two.

geek_black-heart, May 14, 8:25 pm

Just checked the monitor is a Dell 1907FPt and it doesn't have HDMI (should have checked before), it does have 1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI and 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub. As the DVI is in use it looks like I'm stuck with the VGA.

geek_russell.s.c, May 14, 8:50 pm

Get a little hdmi to dvi adapter, and you'll be all set to go

geek_lucky.gadgets, May 14, 9:44 pm

No HDMI on the first monitor?

geek_pozzie-nz, May 15, 3:52 pm

You just need one of these: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/cables-adaptors/monitor/auction-885119024.htm

And no, you don't have to power off anything to connect monitors

geek_lostdude, May 15, 6:15 pm

If your first monitor is using the DVI output and your second monitor has a VGA input then you can easily just connect the second monitor to the spare VGA port, this is what I'm doing anyway. Your PC will detect both monitors and identify them as 1 and 2, you can then choose to Duplicate or Extend your desktop.

geek_smoothjazz, Nov 23, 9:18 pm

Share this thread