Windows 10 upgrade causing UFB congestion

geek_missrat, Aug 12, 11:20 pm

Well yes. A major upgrade to the most popular OS in the world means a lot of people are going to be downloading it. So more common sense than news I'd say.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 12, 11:45 pm

Fibre congestion? So the bottleneck is no longer the last mile (between exchange/cabinet to house), rather the lack of capacity on the backhaul links between exchanges/cities? as I'd expect microsoft will have local caches for windows 10 downloads

geek_lucky.gadgets, Aug 12, 11:54 pm

They do . it's known as a win10 inbuilt torrent prg to share YOUR win update downloads to everybody else.
Why chew up your own servers bandwidth when you can chew up your customers at their expense

geek_mrfxit, Aug 13, 9:05 am

It took an hour and half to download to my desktop, over the weekend. I have waited longer than that, this morning. Have given up.

geek_footplate1, Aug 13, 9:16 am

Its the side affects that stuff up my PC's functionality that annoys me. It takes hours to ID problems and find solutions being the guinea pig for windows release. Wished I had waited. Currently it won't allow me to copy images including my own between folders with out the Administrators permission - who ever they are. i no longer own my own PC windows 10 has hijacked it.

geek_mcarky, Aug 13, 9:29 am

I am having another go at downloading. "Working on it" has been displaying for over an hour.

BTW - is it correct to say that the new browser does not allow the Google took bar?

geek_footplate1, Aug 13, 1:23 pm

Do a clean install. Pretty much every single Windows 10 issue that I've read on this message board could be fixed with a clean install. I would never to an "upgrade" for such a major OS change.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 13, 1:30 pm

It's a thinly disguised advert for Digital Island. I saw some discussion from Spark saying they noticed no such thing at all on their network with over 600k subscribers.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Aug 13, 2:44 pm

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Feb 20, 5:01 pm

Share this thread