Can I use my Macbook pro in USA?

They have different power I think. Not sure if it is safe to take my laptop with me, but I have work to do and would be lost without it.
What to do?

geek_devine-spark, Mar 31, 11:21 am

they don't even use the metric system in the US.

geek_gibler, Mar 31, 11:29 am

1. Go to any Apple store in the US
2. Buy new power cable/transformer for you MacBook
3. Carry on

geek_cafc2012, Mar 31, 11:56 am

Or buy a travel adapter

geek_mazdasix, Mar 31, 12:10 pm

You can also probly charge via usb at airports or friends where your going, maybe , perhaps, possibly.

geek_nzdoug, Mar 31, 12:12 pm

Just buy the 2 pin parallel part of the adaptor - $5 - in Walmart and slide out the Kiwi pin out. Or as mazdasix says a travel adapter but sometimes can fall out with the weight of the Apple power supply. The power supply is rated 100V to 240V, 50 to 60Hz so good to go.

geek_remmers, Mar 31, 12:50 pm

All apple devices are autoswitching so all you need is a very cheap adaptor. or you may even find one already in the box your powerbook came in. mine had US and new from memory. or may have been the ipad

geek_brycer, Mar 31, 12:53 pm

Dumb advice!. All apple products are autoswitching and will work anywhere in the world. just need a cheap PLUG adaptor. which OP may already have in the box it came in.

geek_brycer, Mar 31, 12:55 pm

Really?! you can charge a laptop thru the USB port? Not something I would be trying on my powerbook!

geek_brycer, Mar 31, 12:57 pm

yeah just get a travel adapter or change the "slide-in" end of the power adapter. Jsut watch out because some of the "slide-in" ends seem to vary slightly depending on the apple laptop model.

If I get visitors from the US at work I grab one from a drawer full of them.

geek_gibler, Mar 31, 2:20 pm

Yeah plug the laptop into its own USB port for infinite charging

geek_mazdasix, Mar 31, 3:41 pm

I learnt that one a couple of months ago. Haven't plugged into the wall since

geek_wotz_it_2_ya, Mar 31, 7:06 pm

don't tell too many people, the power companies have already started sending assassins after me

geek_mazdasix, Mar 31, 7:11 pm

Thank you everyone.

geek_devine-spark, Feb 7, 9:23 am

Share this thread