Playing Ipad through TV

Trying to stay on my wife's good side by not continually escalating our spending on wi-fi solutions to playing an ipad through our big screen TV so we can watch channels such as Netflix or other movie channels! We have a modern two story home which I guess (?) has concrete floors/ steel reinforcing or something and the TV itself is in another room. Because of the configuration, Netflix seems to DEMAND a stronger and more consistent signal than we can muster up with our "latest telecom router". We could pay an extra $8 a week for a fibre-optic connection, but. ). Having already spent a considerable sum getting to where we are now, (i.e. a non-usable internet TV signal! ) I'm contemplating moving the router closer to the telly so we can get a signal that doesn't continually drop out. Either that, or demolishing a wall (joking). That is once I figure out the mass of leads, etc, and evaluate the costs of that exercise in terms of the signal no longer being as strong for various computer terminals nearby. Unfortunately, some (lots?) of us (reading stuff on-line I believe that includes a huge number both here and overseas) can't necessarily afford to continually pay out to get to first base with watching stuff on Netflix, etc. and it seems a stated fact-of-life that Netflix and other "solutions" will encounter these problems. Would be interested in getting some positive ideas about the optimum way to set things up so we can get a stronger signal (and yes, I also bought a range extender for downstairs and after I've worked through the mass of wires to the router, will attempt to make that comply). Should it all be so bloody complicated and expensive? (a rhetorical question. )

geek_johnhb, Jun 21, 12:11 pm

It's not really anything to do with Netflix - any service that streams video content will use a lot of bandwidth, and your wifi has to be up to the task. Usually this can be solved by moving the router closer to the device, or running a cable (which is the best way to get a strong, constant connection).

Another thing to try is getting a Wifi range extender (around $60) that goes in between your router and your TV, and boosts the signal that your TV receives.

It's not ideal, a cable or moving the router is still better, but it could be worth looking into. TP-Link make a few good range extenders.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 21, 12:14 pm

Thanks for that suicidemonkey. I think a cable would work from the router to the TV USB but could be tricky because of the location and the look of it! Cheers

geek_johnhb, Jun 21, 1:06 pm

You wouldn't be able to use USB, does your TV have an ethernet port?

The USB port on the router is only used to plug in external hard drives and that sort of things

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 21, 1:11 pm

I've given advise to run a cable (to an access point on the ground floor as well as TV) at least on one occasion so why not do it. How can a range extender help when no decent signal in the first place. Two ticks in the not so bright box.

Wireless networking does not offer some sort of magical solution if there is no ability to get a reliable signal at the location - which you've managed to prove.

What does it take to make you see basic simple common sense.

geek_spyware, Jun 21, 2:52 pm

Also pretty sad that you buy an expensive house, want the toys to work, but won't spend a few hundred on data cabling. What do you achieve by continually ranting on this forum.

geek_spyware, Jun 21, 2:57 pm

Well you're a ray of sunshine.

I use a range extender to get a good signal to my TV. That's the whole point of them (obviously) - put it half way between the router and the TV. Works a treat for me.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 21, 2:58 pm

P.S. maybe your wife has more clues, let her solve the problem because you achieving much. So in short you are too poor to have single run of cat5/6, less than $2/metre run.

Or maybe Ethernet over the 230VAC cables if the house is on a common circuit. all of a few hundred max.

I thought your son was in IT from memory?

geek_spyware, Jun 21, 3:00 pm

And yes you spent all the money and left out the vital components of a local area network, like installing toilets but not the drains.

geek_spyware, Jun 21, 3:03 pm

If there is a single spare phoneline pair between the floors of the house you can use can use VDSL devices on either end to add a switch and access point on the ground floor. DIY even as long as you can determine using simple reason that a wire pair is unused and connects between floors.

geek_spyware, Jun 21, 3:41 pm

geek_spyware, Jun 21, 4:37 pm

Wow. The arrogance.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 21, 5:27 pm

Down load the app and cast it from your phone?

geek_pestri, Jun 21, 5:39 pm

With you on that one suicidemonkey!

geek_johnhb, Jun 21, 6:45 pm

Its almost certainly NOT a bandwidth issue, its most likely an interference issue.

Streaming movies especially of netflix takes very little bandwidth in the grand scheme of things

geek_directorylist, Jun 21, 6:59 pm

I have been watching tv shows in HD on Netflix all evening and my internet speed is only 5Mbps download, so it really doesn't require flash internet.
I am using my PS4 for Netflix, it has quite a good ap for it as well as most of the other streaming services, and spotify. Far cheaper and more powerful and capable than a tablet with chromecast, or a computer even.

geek_brapbrap8, Aug 2, 10:20 pm

Share this thread