Microsoft should be sued Page 3 / 3

suicidemonkey, Jun 15, 11:10pm
That's my theory.

When I have an issue I figure out where the problem lies; whether it be with Windows itself, a problem with third party software or a hardware issue.

99% of the time it's hardware or third party software (or drivers), not the Windows OS itself.

The same applies for any other OS.

I guess your average user sees the computer is having a problem and just assume it's because of Windows. then decides to sue Microsoft :P

black-heart, Jun 15, 11:20pm
it really could be. There are known issues with build 1803 and some SSD's. Hell even surface pro's are having issues with wifi.

black-heart, Jun 15, 11:23pm
Just means after 10 years MS is abandoning it, its unlikely that it will suddenly become vulnerable. Same with XP that was doom and gloom, but all the XP machines still running have been fine.

ianab, Jun 15, 11:33pm
Well last month we had a couple of Suse Linux servers basically "brick" themselves after an update. Hardware driver issue vs kernel issue we think. Solution was to roll them back to the earlier version, and report the problem to Microfocus.

So the issue isn't just confined to MS. Apple and Linux also have "issues".

So backups and a disaster recovery plan are important for ANY computer "system". You do have your important stuff backed up right? And a way to recover the system from a hardware failure?

lythande1, Jun 16, 8:27am
What MS techs? They don't have techs. you rang the call centre? Just take it to a real tech then.
Or stop using it, plenty of other choices out there.

suicidemonkey, Jun 16, 10:17am
Yep I do. Daily image backup to an off-site NAS plus the usual Google Drive sync for important docs. It means if I have any OS issues I just do a factory reset and load the last good image. Nice and easy.

Luckily I've never had to use the backup.

bwg11, Jun 16, 12:38pm
I find Windows 10 excellent and the best version of Windows by far. I run it on 3 machines, i5 desktop, i5 laptop & atom netbook. The frequent updates are an annoyance but usually security fixes (and if you were using third party anti virus/malware software they would need frequent updating anyway.

My experience to make this statement, I grew up on DOS, ran my own supply and support business and taught Operating Systems (Windows and Linux) to degree students.

vtecintegra, Jun 16, 12:48pm
The reality is once it drops out of support it almost immediately becomes too vulnerable to use. Once a patch is released for newer still supported versions that the old ones don't get all bets are off.

And no, XP has not been fine.

rawill, Jun 16, 1:07pm
Isn't that the truth! Same with all sorts of forums, especially Renault Laguna! Yes I have one, great car to drive, V6 model, and therein lies then problem. Nice engine, works really well but has a history of oil leaks, design fault!

Now, if I do a clean install of Win 10, I suspect I will lose all my emails, which I really do not want to do. Is there an easy way to save them and reinstall them after a clean install.

black-heart, Jun 16, 1:25pm
This sort of implies people rely on their OS for security (most don't, they use 3rd party programs). And Xp is still on cash machines. can't be all bad. As for the only large public ransomware issue with UK health system (I think was on XP) that ransomware was also capable of infecting all other windows desktop platforms at that time.

suicidemonkey, Jun 16, 1:29pm
Thing is, third party software might not save you from vulnerabilities within the OS. And those are frequently being discovered on all systems, and they usually rely on an OS update to patch.

nice_lady, Jun 16, 1:31pm
Well it's impossible to tell you without some more info.
There are many many ways to collect and store your emails.
How do you access your emails ?
Do you use a program such as Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, EmClient, or do you use a web based interface, in that you GO to the webpage to read your mail ? Or what ?

kiwikidd77, Jun 16, 3:25pm
So you reckon a pirated version of Windows will be better and safer than a genuine version? good luck with that one.

Also, if you have already had windows 10 installed and activated you can simply download a copy of microsoft onto a DVD or USB drive and go from there. Microsoft will remember your system and automatically add the key and activate it again. I've done this several times on different machines.

comsolve, Jun 16, 3:59pm
The only thing I can't do natively with Linux now is produce labels. Maybe I will try the commercial labeling software I have with WINE.

black-heart, Jun 16, 4:08pm
I was using glabels with my brother p-touch, worked a treat. (its a QL-500) of course theres no shortage of different equipment. So that might be no use to you at all.

nzoomed, Jun 16, 7:13pm
Im with the OP on this.
Im sick of having to fix their crappy updates making computers BSOD etc.
Im still on win7 and love it.

rawill, Jun 17, 2:06pm
Microsoft Outlook, sorry should have said.
However, now I discover there is a way to roll out a new install, without wiping the disk and starting again.

I will be trying that.

suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 2:10pm
That's easier but not always the best way to it as any issues caused by your software/drivers will carry across to the new install. The good thing about a completely clean install is (barring any hardware issues) it's gonna run like a new computer.

Saving your Outlook e-mails is pretty easy: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/export-or-backup-email-contacts-and-calendar-to-an-outlook-pst-file-14252b52-3075-4e9b-be4e-ff9ef1068f91

Remember to make a note of your e-mail settings too (user, password, server, ports, etc).

ctnz, Jun 22, 3:49pm
and that was the point everyone concluded Terry was a dick and stopped helping.

gsimpson, Jun 23, 1:20am
You're not married then?

nice_lady, Jun 23, 6:29am
He he - **Of course** they do. Just like every other computer user out there in La La land.

gammelvind, Nov 6, 2:53am
Haha ??

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)