Wondering about upgrading

fifie, Jun 13, 2:41pm
Desk top. My question is can I up grade the hard drive I have with a new operating system etc or whatever it takes.The system I have now was built for me about 18 years ago, and is still running on Xp it?

suicidemonkey, Jun 13, 2:43pm
To run the latest version of Windows it needs to meet these requirements:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

If it was built 18 years ago, it's unlikely, DX9 wasn't released until 2003.

And even if it does meet the requirements it's unlikely it would run well.

nice_lady, Jun 13, 2:53pm
Throw it away. AFTER you've backed up anything useful off it. You can buy a windows 7 or 10 system on trademe for far less than any upgrade would cost you. If the thing is as old as you say it would essentially need to be entirely gutted of the physical parts and a new motherboard, powersupply unit, ram, cpu, and hard drive fitted . Not worth the bother. Just spend a couple of hundy and get a far better one here.

lythande1, Jun 13, 3:09pm
The hard drive is the storage device inside the PC.
Probably you can, if it has enough room, ignore the must buy new parts people, if it meets the specs, it will work.

nice_lady, Jun 13, 3:35pm
The box pictured in the link I posted is NOT a 'hard drive'. Its a computer. A hard drive is a part inside that computer, (and inside your's). Yes it can be replaced but if you wanted to put a later operating system on it, rather than the now dated Windows XP, such as Windows 7 or 10 then the whole effort will result on you having a new hard drive and operating system on a very old bunch of hardware, (ram, processor, motherboard), and is going to cost you a lot more than the computer I put a link up for. Just to be clear I have no interest in wether you buy that particular computer or any other its just a random one I found here very quickly to illustrate my point.

Point, to reiterate it is simply this: To replace the entire computer will cheap and easy.

suicidemonkey, Jun 13, 4:00pm
Well as we established above, it probably doesn't meet the specs, as it was built 3 years before the required DirectX 9 came out.

Also I've used brand new laptops that "meet the specs", just, and it's a terrible user experience. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

rayonline_tm, Jun 13, 4:08pm
Throw it out. Buy a 8yr old system for $25 or a $99+ brand system on TM and then add in a $100 SSD hard drive.

trade_menow, Jun 13, 4:08pm
Even Pbtech have cheap x lease computers avail

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/EXWKSHP8104/HP-Elite-8100-Desktop-PC--OFF-LEASE-Business-SFF-I

probally not the best for high end gaming but if you just do casual work its fine

ianab, Jun 13, 4:08pm
A 2000 vintage computer simply isn't going to meet the specs. A "top of the line" machine back then would have had a Pentium 4 chip. Most of them would be PIII or some sort of Celeron. The system boards wont physically hold enough RAM to run Win10 etc.

An "ex lease" machine like NL suggests is a good option. It's got a bigger hard disk, more RAM, a Win10 licence etc, all for less than the cost of a new Win10 licence alone, and is probably faster then some brand new budget machines.

Hey I like playing around with old machines and upgrading them etc. But even I have my limits, and that old means it goes on the "recycling" heap.

vtecintegra, Jun 13, 4:53pm
The original P4s were slower than P3s much of the time anyway. Best case from back then would have been an Athlon of some sort which is still too slow for modern software.

If going ex lease anything from a Core2 Duo is workable but for longevity I'd be looking at a second gen i3/5/7 onwards.

mrfxit, Jun 13, 5:03pm
If wanting to run Win10 n ow, then (sadly) I have to agree with the above comments.
A std domestic year 2000 type computer would be struggling to run Win7, never mind Win10.
BUT, if it was a top of the line gaming system. then it "might" be ok on Win7 with a few basic upgrades.

a Q6600/ Q9400 dual core quad would be ok on Win7, but they are getting harder to find.
Best bet for Win10 would be as above with a beefed up 2nd gen i3 or probably for the same cash, 2nd/ 3rd gen i5 computer.
(around $80 to $150 -ish on TM)

Avoid an "All in 1" no matter the price (except free -ish) unless you can fix it your self.

mrfxit, Jun 13, 5:06pm
Yea P4's didn't really get going till the 3ghz/ 3.4ghz cpu's appeared (skt478) & the early skt775 were not any better by much.

ianab, Jun 13, 6:02pm
Yeah, I've got a Core2Duo machine running Win10 as a media player plugged into the TV. Streams Netflix / Youtube etc just fine, but it's not exactly snappy, you can run Chrome and Minecraft on it etc. It's actually comfortably above the minimum spec for Win10.

But I agree, if you are shopping for a budget PC, go and look for an "i" series machine. Even a first gen i3 runs Win10 fine for light use if it's got plenty of RAM (~4gb)

Either way, you don't have to rush out and spend ~$1000 on a new machine. $200 will get you something completely usable, with a 19" monitor and a newish keyboard / mouse too.

r.g.nixon, Jun 13, 8:01pm
Congratulations! That is equivalent to keeping a Hillman Imp (car) going for ten years!

ianab, Jun 13, 8:25pm
I'd say driving a one owner Hillman Imp since 1963 !

Difference is, you can still get a WOF and drive an Imp on the road, in reasonable safety, if you want. And it will "work" as a car should. And it would likely be worth more than it cost new.

There is a reason IRD lets you depreciate computers at ~30% per year, while cars are ~10%. Computers go obsolete a LOT faster.

fifie, Jun 14, 10:24am
Thanks all for your input, I did think it might be to old.It has treated us well over the years, only had to replace a fan in it, so out she goes. Will have a look on here, dosent have to be W10, just something he can get on the net with.

black-heart, Jun 14, 1:48pm
You might as well get windows 10

sw20, Jun 15, 2:12pm
Mid 2012 MacBook Pro. Can be had second hand for around $500. Last MacBook with a CD/DVD drive and last model where you can swap out memory, battery and hard drives yourself. Would be ideal for a reliable net surfer and emails.

nice_lady, Jun 15, 3:09pm
Judging by the OP's description of her tech ability etc I'd say learning to use an apple computer after 18 years on Xp ? Yeah - nah.

suicidemonkey, Jun 15, 6:30pm
Yeah I don't see the point learning a new OS when there's no need to.

ianab, Nov 5, 11:03pm
While true, a $150 used HP mini desktop can do that too.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)