Help Please.Can't Get Back to Google.

hound31, Jun 13, 4:22pm
Not sure what I've done. running Windows 10, Google is browser. Looking at one of my usual (not dodgy) sites this morning and a wee black box came on bottom right of screen saying about updates or upgrades,( can't quite remember which to W10. It didn't say not to close down or anything so I just left it open and went and did something else as it said it was only going to take a few minutes.
Anyway. when I went back to the site to close the window and go to my email, site won't close. Keeps making a boing/.chiming noise when I try to close, use the back arrow or navigate out. I can go to TM via the icon on my task bar, but can't get back to Google or enail or close or even navigate around the site I was on.
Can anyone tell me what I've done and how to fix it (in simple terms please).

nice_lady, Jun 13, 4:26pm
Google is not your browser. Google is a company. Perhaps you were using Google Chrome as your browser. Simpliest thing I can suggest that might help is shut the computer down then restart it. Hopefully that'll sort it out.

suicidemonkey, Jun 13, 4:27pm
Have you tried restarting the computer?

axelvonduisberg, Jun 13, 4:30pm
the latest Windows update , quite a lengthy process, has wiped a heap of Saved Passwords to Bank Accounts etc, and caused me a lot of grief, gthe next scammer to ring me up is going to cop a mouthful.

hound31, Jun 13, 4:39pm
nice_lady wrote:
Google is not your browser. Google is a company. Perhaps you were using Google Chrome as your browser. Simpliest thing I can suggest that might help is shut the computer down then restart it. Hopefully that'll sort it out.[/quote
Yes sorry, Google Chrome, can you tell I'm not a computer whiz lol. I did try shutting down and starting again. didn't help, perhaps I'll give it another go, or throw the damn thing out the window. Thanks for the suggestion.

hound31, Jun 13, 4:41pm
Yes I did thank you, didn't help. As I replied to nicelady, I'll try again.

nice_lady, Jun 13, 4:41pm
What ? Saved passwords for bank accounts ? Saved where ? In the browser ? If so that's extremely unwise to say the least.

nice_lady, Jun 13, 4:42pm
Ok so a suggestion.
If when you've restarted the computer and things are still not 'right' come back here and try to detail as exactly as you can what the issues are.

hound31, Jun 13, 5:04pm
Hi, have turned off and on and still no joy. When I turn it back on it takes me straight back to the site I was on when all this started. I can't close the window, navigate round the site, or use the back arrow without getting that noise and it's completely unresponsive. I just can't close that window.
I can get to TM via the icon on my task bar(bottom bar) and I can navigate round the MB with no problems, as soon as I close this TM window, straight back to the other site.
I should add that the other site is reputable, and I've been looking at it for months with no problems. I don't click on dodgy links anywhere and I'm careful what I browse on. Hope I've explained this right.

pzkpfw, Jun 13, 5:20pm
Exactly how are you turning off your computer?

hound31, Jun 13, 5:24pm
With the on/off button top left corner, the one actually on the lap top, if that makes sense?

pzkpfw, Jun 13, 5:31pm
That may well just be sleeping the laptop.

Use windows to turn it off. (The start button at bottom left of screen).

Edit:
Click the windows logo (usually bottom left of screen).
Click the switch icon (circle with vertical line at top).
Click "Shut down".

hound31, Jun 13, 5:33pm
Ok will try that thanks.

hound31, Jun 13, 5:50pm
pzkpfw?

nice_lady, Jun 13, 6:36pm
Good thinking there pzkpfw

king1, Jun 13, 6:54pm
just a slight security risk if someone steals the laptop, surely you would appreciate that?

suicidemonkey, Jun 13, 7:03pm
True. I guess I asssume everyone uses 2-factor authentication.

nice_lady, Nov 8, 12:47am
There is a fairly large proportion of the population who wounldn't have a clue what that means.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)