I'm in Hamilton, not Dunedin

fishb8, Mar 1, 11:06am
If I try a speed test, it always gives me a server near Dunedin.
When I look at Google news and look for local stories, again, I get Dunedin news. Sure I can add Hamilton.
Is my IP address indicating I'm in Hamilton?
With My Republic, ISP.

henry284, Mar 1, 11:13am
Because MyRepublic will be routing your data through a server based in Dunedin. Some ISPs like Orcon simply blanket all of their customers as Aucklanders.

henry284, Mar 1, 11:21am
You'll find latency to Dunedin speedtest servers will likely be better than ones closer to your actual physical location.

suicidemonkey, Mar 1, 11:48am
Really? How's does that work?

spyware, Mar 1, 7:41pm
CG-NAT

gibler, Mar 1, 7:52pm
Stop drinking Speights.

suicidemonkey, Mar 1, 9:48pm
Who in their right mind would drink that crap :P

henry284, Mar 11, 1:40pm
Closer electrically.

suicidemonkey, Mar 11, 4:33pm
That doesn't explain much but ok

ross1970, Mar 11, 6:18pm
Far more likely to be the response time of the server to actually prepare the response to a request and begin sending bytes. A badly configured server right next door will appear slower than one in ( insert location of your choice further away than "next door" ).

gyrogearloose, Mar 12, 7:49am
You'll see a slower ping time to servers further away (by distance and by hop), and the ping is returned by the router rather than a server.

For example, I get 5ms to Spark's Auckland router, and the best I can get to a Dunedin router is 27ms. The actual speedtest is close, 105mbps vs 100.

gyrogearloose, Mar 12, 7:50am
Are you sure you don't mean closer optically? The relevant factor in fibre is the speed of light, rather than the speed of electrons in copper.

ross1970, Mar 13, 12:12pm
Yeah quite right dude, ping is to the gateway of the server not the server itself. In relation to speedtest i'll admit to a face palm moment there.

ianab, 5 days, 18 hours
When speedtest runs, it tests a variety of servers in the general vicinity, to see which ones respond best. That's then the default test. A low ping time suggest a good connection. Distance isn't really a factor, the number of "hops" or routers that packets need to go through is what really matters. So a server in Dunedin that you can reach in 3 hops will be faster than one next door, on a totally different system, that takes 6 hops to reach.

Obviously an overseas server needs multiple hops as it bounces around NZ, into the cross Pacific cable, then around the US backbone, so you might be 10 hops to get there.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)