Operating Systems Page 1 / 2

lythande1, Apr 29, 8:37am
The longer I have Linux, the less I ever want to go back to Windows. I find I haven't missed it at all.

The new printer, for instance.
Downloaded the driver, unzipped and installed.
During the install I got asked 2 things:
USB or wifi?
Name? (Happy with default or enter a name I chose)

And that's it.
No next, next, reboot, bloat in the startup, annoying nag screens, registry entries, and size and monitoring stuff.

It does allow me options to change settings, I do get a screen come up if there is some error or such. But not there in your face all the time.

Ditto the scanner part.
This caused some initial confusion because it took all of 1 second to install, asked me nothing and then I couldn't see a program listed in the menu or anything.

Aha, I realise I type scangear into terminal and up pops the wee window, with all I need:
Scan as jpg or pdf, size of paper, colour or black, and where to save it to.

So simple. So small. So easy.

I rummaged through my folders in file manager and find the entire thing takes up 407kbs.

Kbs, not Mbs!

Removing old printer?
purge from terminal, and it's all cleared out.
And really cleared out, no lurking junk in profiles, system or registries.

OK, some versions of Linux still require a lot of terminal and knowledge of it, but Mint? It's the simplest O/S I have ever used, anywhere and anytime. and I started in IT in 1985.

And tiny. the TB drive sits there mostly empty, the only things taking up space are some music and videos really.

Why anyone persists with that bloat called Windows is beyond me, I guess they think something else would be hard or doesn't have the software or such.
No, I have yet to not find a program for anything I wanted.
I will give you gaming is still not quite there, via Steam there's a lot more than you would think, but still not quite 100%.

Other than games though. nothing has been an issue at all.

black-heart, Apr 29, 10:38am
accounting programs.

just_looking_, Apr 29, 11:46am
We need Windows for certain conferencing/VoIP apps, and it's arguably still the cheapest corporate desktop OS to administer (native drivers, centralized group management).

A vanilla Windows 7 desktop image can be very snappy (I like my programs to run fast/immediate).
The X/Wayland/Mir landscape is typical of the OSS situation. If it weren't for Linus' iron fisted control of the kernel, it would've devolved into a horrible mess long ago.

However, the flexibility is great. It's well suited as a back-end OS.

As a desktop OS, I just got sick and tired of things suddenly breaking in subsequent updates because some idealist felt something wasn't done the "right way" so re-implemented it and broke a dependency chain.
Yeah, I could fix it - after X number of wasted hours isolating the problem, then having to come up with a bespoke solution.
Seriously, if they want to save/change the world, that's fine. Just don't arbitrarily do it on the production/release branch!

Backward compatibility is not a dirty word in Windows.

zak410, Apr 29, 11:58am
8 Ways Linux Is Taking Over the World

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-taking-over-world/

just_looking_, Apr 29, 12:14pm
7 of the 8 are for back-end services, not desktop OSes.

Which brings us to the one desktop OS - NK's "Red Star OS" (yep, that's its real name).
Red Star OS is not only closed source, it gets a somewhat scathing review from ExtremeTech and gives new meaning to the term Spyware.
We're talking _first-party_ spyware here (not the third-party stuff you typically get).
Yeeaaah. not sure I'd recommend Red Star OS to anyone. Well you can use it if you want.

gsimpson, Apr 29, 12:37pm
I use gnucash for accounts
Libreoffice
Draftsight for CAD

lythande1, Apr 29, 12:47pm
yes? The question is?
If it's are there any, then yes, quite a few.

lythande1, Apr 29, 12:49pm
Plenty of that available too.

You do know Unix was around long, long before Windows even became a thing?
never mind Linux.

just_looking_, Apr 29, 1:19pm
Yes, I do.

I fiddled with MINIX many moons ago, and quite enjoyed the interconnectivity of a multi-user OS - even if it was via CLI. However, for single-user productivity, not my first choice.

What's your point?

suicidemonkey, Apr 29, 2:28pm
I'm sure Linux is great. But until the software I use is compatible, I'll stick to Windows. Not that I have a problem with Windows - it's pretty damn reliable these days.

black-heart, Apr 29, 8:36pm
You said apart from games, not much point in keeping windows. there are a few linux accounting programs, granted, but they are all horrible to setup and use. especially gnucash.
Cloud based conferencing seems to be the latest now , zoom etc.
I wouldn't use webex, any more.

emmerson1, May 1, 9:01pm
WINE will run a lot of windows apps these days, if you really need full windows then either dual boot or run windows in an emulator box.

ianab, May 1, 11:17pm
If you NEED Windows then you can run it in Virtual Box, under Linux. Or run Linux in Virtual Box under Windows. Or both of them on a Mac, and swap between the 3 systems with a mouse click. No emulation, you have a full Windows machine in a "box" on a Linux machine.

I know Windows is better supported for desktop apps, so it makes sense for most people to use it. At work we run Linux for most servers, and some remote machines out on the factory floors that connect to a Windows Terminal Server that actually runs the windows based production system.

I run Linux Mint on my desktop, and have all the basic software I need on it. Chrome / LibreOffice / Gimp / VLC / Kodi etc. Just works, and no real Linux geek stuff needed to get it all working.

suicidemonkey, May 1, 11:25pm
Since I started using computers way too long ago (I feel old) I've used Windows NT, 95, 98, 2001, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, Mac OS (10.0 Cheetah to 10.13 Sierra, the current build), Linux Ubuntu, Mint, Suse, and more.

And tbh the Windows of old wasn't overly stable. but I'm sure Mac and Linux wasn't perfect either.

But since Windows 7 (ignoring W8), and Windows 10, Windows has been the most stable and compatible OS I've used in a long time.

Sure I could use Mac (I do quite like Mac OS for how polished it is) or Linux, but all the software I use requires Windows. so it's just easier.

My point is. why Linux? Distros like Ubuntu are nice and polished and very functional, but my software still doesn't work. so why?

If in 5 years time the software I use for my work is compatible with Linux, then yay. Until then, Linux is about as useful to me as a 1-legged centipede.

black-heart, May 2, 12:00am
Hah nerd it was windows 2000, not 2001.
And why didn't you mention Windows ME ?

morticia, May 2, 12:41am
WinME is the Shadowy Place. You must never go there, Simba.

lythande1, May 2, 7:33am
Stable. Windows is so bloated, ditto the software, and now it's turned into a giant keylogger, why?

I owned 2 businesses, and did the admin for husbands, and never used anything except Excel. or Libre Calc.

king1, May 2, 7:52am
windows comes with a lot of stuff because it needs to meet pretty much all needs for the masses. A lot of it can be turned off in seconds.
Calling it a keylogger is just a tinfoil hat mentality

black-heart, May 2, 8:29am
Yeah MS are always in the media reporting back on how successful the windows store is, with its xbox app, all the skype users who have done away with the desktop program to use the app, and the widespread uptake of windows mail. Just like the immense success of all windows tablets and phones.

king1, May 2, 8:41am
and Cortana

kiwikidd77, May 2, 11:16am
Friends and I renamed WinME as Windows BUG.

spyware, May 2, 2:57pm
98SE and 2K Workstation were my favorite.

emmerson1, May 4, 12:24am
I started with 3.1, upgraded to Windows for workgroups, 3.11. That was great, it had support for networking and everything!

mcarky, May 6, 8:10pm
Well its reliable if your device is just as modern as the software. Not so good if you are trying to run win 10 on an older PC that came out with XP or 7.

ianab, May 6, 8:23pm
Dunno. I've found Win10 has pretty good support for older "generic" hardware. I'm sure you can find some exceptions with some oddball hardware configs that some OEMs use. But I haven't had an issue running Win10 on older Intel or Gigabyte based system, because they don't "customise" the hardware or BIOS. So Win10 sees the hardware, loads the drivers it needs, and seems to work fine.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)