Increasing the sound volume on a laptop

socram, Jan 29, 3:06pm
Yup, I know I am getting old and should invest in hearing aids, but whether using cheap ear pieces or full sized headphones, some stuff on the laptop computer, the sound level is too low (for me).

I've increased all the settings to max, but it sometimes isn't quite enough. I have noticed that different TV channels often need way different volume settings too.

I can lift the volume using a video edit programme on downloaded files, but wonder if there is any way to lift it without having to do that? Not all stuff is downloaded and saved - or maybe I need a more expensive set of headphones?

muppet_slayer, Jan 29, 3:36pm
if your ears are damaged then you will only hear a certain amount regardless of what the volume is. You could have the speakers screaming in your ears but you will still only hear it at the damaged level. I think you should get your ears tested.

phil1943, Jan 29, 3:44pm
You could try a USB soundcard.Quite cheap and certainly boost the volume.May improve the quality as well.

event_horizon_1, Jan 29, 3:54pm
Have you tried messing with the equalizer? Can't find one in windows but my onboard RealTek HD audio manager allows me to.

nice_lady, Jan 29, 4:29pm
The cost of the headphones will have little or nothing to do with this issue so dont think you need more expensive headphones. Hubby is about 40% deaf in one ear and he uses 'in ear' plugs occasionally on his laptop or otherwise very occasionally the traditional headphones. His cost less than $20 and give considerable sound volume.

The problem will more than likely be a software issue.

What make/model of laptop is it ?

gyrogearloose, Jan 29, 4:50pm
Some headphones are more sensitive than others, for example this list of Phillips headphones from Noel Leeming varies from 100 to 107 db audio sensitivity (the higher is louder for a given input level).

https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/Philips/audio/portable-audio/headphones/cAudio-cportable_audio-c100555-bphilips-p2.html

The type that enclose the entire ear might be better at blocking external noise and make it easier to hear the program.

Long extension cables might also reduce the volume, so the bluetooth option may be good since it eliminates the cable loss.

Using my desktop computer I needed to have everything on full, and it still wasn't loud enough (both for headphones via an extension cable and for driving a valve power amp), so I ended up buying a Topping brand pre-amplifier that has a headphone output with volume control. This connects to the desktop with a fibre optic lead, and you might similarly find your laptop has an optical output.

socram, Jan 30, 7:26pm
Had my ears tested and sure, some form of hearing aids might help, but the soundcard seems a logical solution. I have no problems with the PC, just the laptop.

Toshiba Satellite P840 about 2 or 3 years old.

muppet_slayer, Jan 30, 9:17pm
Oh ok, fair enough. I thought you might have been quite deaf, but if your desktop PC volume is ok and your laptop not then the problem must lie with your laptop and it's speakers. Is your desktop PC using external speakers with a separate volume control? They should be connected via a 3.5mm headphone jack? If so you should be able to disconnect them from the PC and connect them to your laptop via the laptop headphone jack.

loud_37, Jan 30, 10:31pm
There are two volume controls you can adjust, the main laptop volume and then the program itself, are both set to max?

supernova2, Jan 31, 1:23am
My Toshiba Satellite Pro is as quite as a churchmouse so i just use a real cheap set of headphones and then only need it set to about 20% and its fine. Our other, older, Toshiba does not have any sound issues at all.

soundsgood, Jan 31, 7:41am
If you;
Right-Click on the speaker icon (down on the right side of the tray)
then
select PlayBack Devices
then
double-click the device, probably Speakers
then
click on the Enhancements tab
then
click next to Loudness Equalization
then
click OK, OK

. that might work for your system.

nice_lady, Jan 31, 10:53am
That's not cheap - back in the day Hubby says if he wanted to amplify something he'd get an old cassette player or similar and simply wire it in as an inline amp. It always worked quite well and mostly cost nothing.

socram, Jan 31, 8:20pm
Thanks soundsgood. A definite improvement. I tend to record stuff on the laptop from YouTube. Old jazz concerts or motorsport for example, to watch when I am travelling, so external speakers weren't an option.

flower_tears, Feb 1, 8:17am
If your laptop is Bluetooth enabled you can invest in some sort of Bluetooth speaker that will dramatically change the way your laptop sounds, The Warehouse have one for $39 which sound pretty good actually

soundsgood, Feb 1, 11:19am
Yes I had much the same need - for increased volume without another box for when travelling.

The people above are also right - in that the volume/sound options should all be more obviously in a common area.

Just a problem with software both written and 'designed' by engineers. Seems that old XP (and earlier) knowledge still helps with newer versions of Windows.

supernova2, Feb 10, 2:42am
Give the man a choccy fish !
Just tried this on my Toshiba.
Holy hell what a difference.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)