HDD Partitions

b.chapman, Dec 21, 11:04am
I have successfully installed a SSD as my C: Boot drive. My old HDD was partitioned as C: and D: Using Win 7 disk management tools I formatted the old C: drive and expanded the old D: drive to occupy the whole disk. The OS recognises the drive as D: and all my data is intact.
BUT. looking at the disk picture it is described as a simple, dynamic NTFS drive. It appears as D: - 238Gb, a 4MB unallocated space, D: - 228Gb, another 4 Mb unallocated space and another 4 Mb unallocated space.
How do I absorb the three unallocated spaces into the volume?

vtecintegra, Dec 21, 11:11am
Why? You're not losing any significant amount of space

king1, Dec 21, 11:15am
dynamic suggests you have turned it into a soft raid volume of some description.
I would probably backup any data and delete all partitions, then create a new basic volume, format as ntfs and copy data back

nice_lady, Dec 21, 11:15am
Yeah. Or if you must, use some third party partitioning program they make things a bit easier sometimes. Easus for instance. Free and good.

b.chapman, Dec 21, 12:37pm
Thanks all. I might be a bit anal but I like to see things neat and tidy. Easus looks good.

pcmaster, Dec 21, 5:34pm
there's usually always a block of 8mb unallocated space on the end of a drive

ianab, Dec 21, 9:16pm
There is almost always a small chunk of disk that's never allocated, it's just the nature of the file format. I haven't gone into the exact details, but every multi-partition disk I've ever looked at has a few MB of unallocated space.

I look at it as being like a full filing cabinet, but you can still slip 3 more sheets of paper between the folders. Big deal.

Don't let your OCD create problems that aren't really there.

hakatere1, Dec 22, 10:56am
For sure.

black-heart, 5 days, 19 hours
Having meaningless partitions can be annoying, and probably will lead to one being full the other hardly used. Keeping it tidy isn't just OCD its practical.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)