Quality Charging Cables

johnhb, Jan 30, 5:26pm
How are you supposed to know when buying a charging cable whether it's 'fast' or 'slow', and why do they supply/ sell slow cables i.e. who and why would anyone want an inferior slow cable?

loud_37, Jan 30, 6:45pm
Check out the AMPs it can deliver, some devices require a slow charge.

supernova2, Jan 30, 6:52pm
Are you asking about cables or chargers? I don't believe there is any such thing as a fast cable. In general terms a bit of wire is a bit of wire.

chito, Jan 30, 7:00pm
I have a USB meter bought from Ali express that shows voltage and current when charging cell phone. The cable can make the difference between 500mA and 1.4A charging of my phone. It is also invaluable for checking chargers.

loud_37, Jan 30, 7:01pm
I was commenting thinking they meant the charger.

suicidemonkey, Jan 30, 7:01pm
You're probably referring to the actual wall charger? Cables don't have amp ratings AFAIK - although better quality cables will handle more throughput.

"Fast" chargers output more amps which = faster charging.

"Slow" chargers put out less amps, which = slower charging.

However, not all devices can draw high amp outputs so a "slow" charger is fine.

In theory, a 1amp charger will charge a 1000mah battery in an hour. It's not that perfect in the real world, but close enough for comparisons sake.

nice_lady, Jan 30, 7:03pm
I'd venture to suggest that some charging cables will handle greater Amp throughput that others. We have two 2.5m charging cables here, (among others), and one is thicker than the other - quite substantially so. The charger with the thick cable is a 1.5Amp charger. The charger with the thinner cable is a 2.0Amp charger. I am 99% certain that the lower Amperage charger with the thicker cable charges faster.

Goes to do a fast test. BRB.

nice_lady, Jan 30, 7:13pm
Ok tested with Ampere, (android app which measures incoming charge rates), the thicker cable with the lower Amp rated charger is supplying the better charge rate About 1060 mA as opposed to around 900 ish for the thinner cable on the higher rated charger. not entirely scientific but good enough for me.

suicidemonkey, Jan 30, 7:15pm
On a 2a charger? Sounds like the phone is only wanting to draw an amp anyway

nice_lady, Jan 30, 7:25pm
Yeah probably right but irrespective of that its definitely drawing slightly higher amps on the better cable. It would seem obvious to me that a heavier cable can handle more amp.

supernova2, Jan 31, 2:34am
Taken to the extreme if you try to suck to higher an amperage through a weak cable you will blow the cable. Remember the old rewireable fuse on your switchboard the higher amp fuse was the thick one.
So the size of the cable will determine the amount of amps it can safely carry but it shouldn't throttle back the amps that the charger is pushing in at one end and the load is trying to draw at the other. I suspect that where the differences arise are due to resistance within the cable assembly - faulty plugs, really poor quality wire, and so on - perhaps it's possible that a manufacturer of really bad cable assemblies could try to sell them labeled as "slow" when in fact they should be labeled "junk".

There are truck loads of internet articles on cable sizing in audio applications and they all contradict each other. In the case of cables it's not just the size that matters.

IIRC (from school physics) it's not the charger that determines the amps used but the device drawing the power from the charger. Obviously the charger can only supply as much as its designed to deliver so the device can not draw more than that maximum output although in some cases the device will try to do that and so ends the life of your charger.

soundsgood, Jan 31, 7:34am
I assume the 'slow' ones are cheaper to make, as well as there being some older devices that require/use slow charging.

You only 'know' once you get it home and use it if the advertising/writing about a cable was true.

We use the Rock cables. 1m is a handy length.

nice_lady, Jan 31, 7:41am
eh ? That'll be determined by the device not the cable.

cube_guy, Jan 31, 8:22am
With my Huawei Mate 10 you need to use the supplied cable to get the fastest charging speed - "Huawei Super Charge" its called. I tried to use a longer USB to USB-C cable that I had used with my previous phone, but that cable was not able to produce the same speeds as the Huawei supplied one. They look physically the same apart from the colour, so not sure what Huawei have done differently with their cable.

nice_lady, Jan 31, 8:28am
Ok but 'older devices that require/use slow charging" won't use a special 'slow charging cable' lol.

soundsgood, Jan 31, 8:57am
You've made yourself look silly by taking half a sentence.

If they are cheaper to make, then they are better value for devices for which a higher quality (and potentially faster) cable is not necessary.

nice_lady, Jan 31, 9:09am
What I am suggesting is that there is no need to purchase a 'slow' cable for an older device. Indeed I wouldn't do so as then your 'slow' cable will be of little use for other devices you own now or may do so in the future, which can charge faster than the cable can handle. Also 'cheap' can be 'cheap & nasty' so even if you have an 'older/slow charging' device I personally wouldn't consider it wise to purchase a cable from the $2 shop for it.

phil1943, Jan 31, 9:19am
Current travels on the outside of the conductor.The thicker the cable the larger area of conductor so less resistance.Ohms law.High current,small resistance,less voltage drop.
The make up of the material in the conductor will also have an affect.

christin, Feb 1, 7:39am
you can get faster cables. thicker ones. I have a lightening one here that is thicker, was advertised as a fast charge cable and definately faster than a standard one.

soundsgood, Feb 10, 5:58am
If it is $1 for a cheap/slow cable and $3 for the faster cable and they only have a slow-charging device then buy the most cost-effective cable and pay $2 more off their mortgage.

The way technology moves on, when they get a faster charging device it will need yet another type of cable - or will be a wireless charger.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)