Acer Aspire One ZG5

rawill, Jun 15, 9:04am
I was wanting to upgrade the Ram to 1 gig or more. Has anyone done it, seem from a video on You Tube that it requires almost a complete dismantle. Has anyone done this, what advice have you got. It is a great little travel computer. Running Linux Mint 17.2 MATE. Also wondered if Xcfe would make it faster?

vtecintegra, Jun 15, 10:08am
There is a detailed guide here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Acer+Aspire+One+ZG5+RAM+Replacement/3781

I'd say it isn't worth it but if you have time on your hands and a spare stick of DDR2 (can't be any more than 1GB) then go for it. Just don't spend any money.

black-heart, Jun 15, 1:08pm
bin it.

rawill, Jun 15, 3:13pm
bin it! but it works fine, just thought to speed it up a bit. Nothing ventured nothing gained. All fun.
I will check the link above. Thank you.

schizoid, Jun 15, 3:26pm
Holy hell that's the most complicated RAM upgrade I've ever seen!

rawill, Nov 6, 7:48am
Yep, it sure is, they have hidden it well.

The later versions of this little model are quite a bit easier. Found some You Tube videos on it. And they had a bad BIOS fault when new. The local "retailer" fixed it for me, only for me to find he had not fixed it properly/permanently, I found that out 2 weeks into a 3 month trip in Europe. The get the Black Screen of Death! And in France, I borrowed a computer, downloaded the file, fixed it permanently. I was using it to check out our next places to stay as we were travelling by car, booking as we went. Would have been really really stuck without it!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)