Telephone system Page 1 / 2

rpvr, Jul 18, 8:25am
Currently I have a landline with Vodafone (on the old copper line) and have ADSL with another company. I have had notification from Vodafone that they want me to move to home phone wireless. What implications does this have for continuing to receive ADSL over the copper line? Fibre not available yet, but supposed to be here by November. Strangely, Vodafone are still offering ADSL over the copper line, which can then have a home phone line included. I was considering going to Flip for ADSL, but it is the continued availability of the copper line which concerns me. The Vodafone people handling the change to wireless phones say that all copper lines in the country will close in 2020. Is that true?

king1, Jul 18, 8:33am
lies, all lies. I read somewhere that chorus have said they will keep supporting the copper network as long as it is viable. This is simply a costs reduction exercise by vodafone.

https://www.chorus.co.nz/help-and-support/our-network/chorus-switching-copper-network

and the main implication is if no internet (outage or otherwise) you have no phone. call quality can be reduced as well but not always the case

gyrogearloose, Jul 18, 8:35am
Chorus own the copper network, and on this link on their website:

https://www.chorus.co.nz/help-and-support/our-network/chorus-switching-copper-network

Chorus say: "Is Chorus switching the copper network off?
At this stage, no we?

zirconium, Jul 18, 8:39am
Hi, we are vodafone, and live in rural Waitakere. Chorus claim they are supposed to upgrading our very dodgy copper line later this year (to copper without the multiple breaks, lol). We have had the techs out lots on our road, as several households have had enough pf paying for such an inferior product and have been harrassing them, so very likely this is the correct story that we have been hearing from them.

We wouldn't go wireless at home as the plans are too expensive for unlimited.

Friends with voip on our copper system have found it woeful, so we wouldn't go without the landline either.

lythande1, Jul 18, 8:45am
Hang in there till Fibre and move to that, landline and net.
If you split the 2 between 2 companies, it costs you more, why would you do that? !
Yes, copper is meant to be phased out by then, how well that works is another thing. many rural people can't get fibre nor wireless. but that's the target anyway.
Fibre is great, we have landline on it too, and it's clear, stable and never any faults in the 14 months since.
Ditto the net.

nice_lady, Jul 18, 8:50am
Why worry about copper being phased out ? Go with Fibre. It's very reliable, faster, and yeah your phone works through it so that wont' work if theres a power outage but so what ? You have a mobile ? That's your backup. Copper wont be around forever.

Home medical and other type of alarm systems which work through copper are in the process of change to mobile/internet connectivity also anyway. It's just the way things are.

amasser, Jul 18, 9:06am
Phone through computer might be cheaper. Don't switch modem off.
Fibre is dearer and probably more profitable for suppliers.

king1, Jul 18, 9:21am
This was in response to when Spark were doing much the same thing last year ie telling consumers it was closing down copper.
https://www.chorus.co.nz/blog/confused-about-copper-flummoxed-about-faults/

As I understand it, 2020 is when Chorus are REQUIRED by legislation to maintain the copper network. After that economics will dictate how much longer Chorus keep selling it. Basically as long as enough people are using it to make it worth while.

hulloitsme, Jul 18, 10:08am
Hang in there for your eventual fibre connection! You won't regret it.

gyrogearloose, Jul 18, 10:22am
This requirement is in the Telecommunications Service Obligation, which is reviewed by Government of the day as it sees fit. Therefore I'd expect it to be reviewed again, and the dates and terms could easily change.

king1, Jul 18, 10:29am
Given that it is only 18 months away would they even bother with another review of it? especially if Chorus still see copper as profitable

onl_148, Jul 18, 11:16am
Vodaphone as company / call centre etc may have many faults, but if you have all your telecom business with them, then their "pencil is pretty sharp" on pricing.

spyware, Jul 19, 7:17am

just_looking_, Jul 19, 9:11am
Be careful with the VoIP koolaid.

Not exactly my first choice in a disaster recovery situation. You can't get DDoS'ed with a POTS phone (or any other IP related vulnerability), nor are you susceptible to IP congestion.

Sitting back with the popcorn, to see how this VoIP baby scales when serious load is applied (once enough victi. err, I mean subscribers have signed up).

nice_lady, Jul 19, 9:38am
For purposes of text and calls particularly cellphones don't have those issues either - funny that.

spyware, Jul 19, 9:44am
Spark 4G VoIP is on a dedicated APN that isn't accessible via wider Internet. And the Spark ONT VoIP circuit again is also on a separate network.

Note: The residential phone services as offered over fibre and copper don't allow any customer side network devices to be used as VoIP clients so your theories aren't all that applicable.

just_looking_, Jul 19, 10:39am
Interesting?
Are you saying Spark/Chorus uses a dedicated fibre line for the VoIP phone? (one for the phone, and one for everything else)
Unless you mean logical, as opposed to physical circuit.

just_looking_, Jul 19, 10:45am
Because they don't use IP as part of the transportation mechanism.

Unless, of couse you want to use VoIP on your mobile phone. Although, I don't understand what's wrong with just using the 3G/4G network?

just_looking_, Jul 19, 10:47am
Texts are a different kettle fish entirely (well, depending on whether you're texting via a data connection - like Apple messenger service).

IP has no nothing to do with an SMS service.

rpvr, Jul 19, 9:12pm
This is probably the definitive solution, as fibre is currently being installed in my street. Funny, when the fibre roll out was first announced, I thought it was all going to be underground. The installers in our area put some cable in conduit underground, but are now putting cables on the poles along with the copper.

taipapaki, Jul 21, 10:19am
The telcos love to migrate people to SIP trunks on VOIP, as they can still clip you for a phone line, but all they actually have to supply is a bit of software and a box.

We will all end up paying for a phone line that doesn't actually exist, all you have is a VOIP product with an old fashioned phone number.

You can just go and buy a SIP phone, and get a SIP account from a VOIP provider for around $10./month and keep your number. Just plug the phone into broadband router and you are running.

spyware, Jul 21, 10:46am
True, but then you may need some understanding of QoS at layer 2 and 3 and how to configure hardware. Also your voice circuit may fail if you are under some sort of DoS attack.

spyware, Jul 21, 10:46am
Christchurch is ALL underground.

nice_lady, Jul 21, 6:00pm
Can't see the advantage over ISP supplied phone connection over Fibre for instance - that also costs us $10 p/m

peric, Oct 10, 9:08pm
The reason you are being offered the Home Phone Wireless is that Vodafone pays Spark to use their switches (exchanges) and it appears their policy is to get customers off those landline phones which still use the Spark exchanges. It has nothing to do with the Chorus owned copper lines as I understand it. I have a Vodafone Home Phone Wireless which was offered at a great price and includes unlimited NZ calls. It comprises a mobile type phone with charging cradle. It is set up to only connect to one dedicated cell site near to your home. Your landline number is retained and as before but all your outgoing calls including local must be prefixed with the area code. The downside is the current phone is a tiny piece of cheap erratic rubbish and nothing like the cordless style advertised. Also extension phones are not supported. The alternative would be to have one supplier for internet via copper or fibre with a wired home phone option. This setup avoids using Spark exchanges. Cheers.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)