Problems after restarting computer Page 1 / 2

colin433, Jul 28, 9:55pm
I got a message to restart my computer, so I did that, then when I tried to get into the usual sites that I visit, I couldn't access anything.
I have been clicking on the E ( for Edge, I presume) on the upper address bar and everything has been sweet. What I wanted came up immediately, but after restarting, that didn't happen, so I can only assume that my search engine is now Firefox, having nominated that. BUT
the main thing that has gone missing is that when I click onto the 'windows' pane at the top left, nothing happens. That means I can't even close down the machine if I want to.
I'd really appreciate some help with that, because although I usually allow the computer to put itself to sleep at night, I'd really like to have some control over it.

The other thing is that I had probably 100 or more recipes saved in favourites, and now I can't access favourites at all. There were other things that were important too, but I can reinstall them as I think of them. It was just a quicker way to get to some of the sites that I use.
If I can get back to how it was before, I assume the items in favourites will reappear. RIGHT?
I feel that everything is unwieldly now, takes longer, and I really don't like it. I want things back the way they were.

TIA

hulloitsme, Jul 29, 6:07am
It sounds like the restart was needed after an update was installed?

What you need to do is a system restore. Here's a microsoft link that explains how to do the system restore.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

nice_lady, Jul 29, 6:35am
That won't fix it merely temp remove the issue till the update returns. First thing: just restart again. My guess is the system hasn't logged you into your usual user acct.

colin433, Jul 29, 10:31am
OK and thank you to both of you lovely people. I was lying in bed this morning thinking about this problem, and it occurred to me that I should to a system restore, but my ancient brain wouldn't tell me the word 'restore'
I actually quite like what I've got with Firefox, although it takes a bit longer to get where I want to go, but I'll get used to that.

Getting the windows pane back would be nice, instead of a blue infinity circle. That would take me to my photos instead of the shortcut that fortunately I have on my desktop.
It would also allow me to turn off the machine.

First I'll do as nice_lady said, and I'll restart it. Keep our ringers crossed for me.

colin433, Jul 29, 10:35am
Oops, how do I restart when the windows pane wont work

colin433, Jul 29, 10:39am
Well here I am back again. I can't do anything because the start button that I referred to as the windows pane, wont let me in

event_horizon_1, Jul 29, 10:48am
Press the power button on the computer once, Windows by default will shut down when you press it. Once shut down turn it on again.

nice_lady, Jul 29, 11:10am
No it's more likely to hibernate if you do that.

Press and HOLD the physical power button until the comp shuts off, (bout 10 secs).

event_horizon_1, Jul 29, 11:19am
Technically by default, Win 10 shut down (start button/power button) is hibernation anyway (fast start) unless you disable it.

hulloitsme, Jul 29, 11:38am
Turn comp off by holding down the power button until it shts down. Then.
Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power Power icon > Restart.

After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

nice_lady, Jul 29, 11:50am
Exactly, and we don't want that - we want a complete shut down which holding the powerbutton till the machine turns off will achieve.

colin433, Jul 29, 12:13pm
AND, now I have no sound. Damn!

nice_lady, Jul 29, 12:14pm
Check it's not muted.

What about the other issues ?

event_horizon_1, Jul 29, 12:15pm
OK, so what would your advice in #3 do differently to my advice in #7 .

nice_lady, Jul 29, 12:31pm
Why the hell you're asking me I don't know - you said this:

"by default, Win 10 shut down (start button/power button) is hibernation anyway (fast start)"

Pressing the power button once is NOT the same at all as pressing and holding it till you 'hard shut off' the computer.

event_horizon_1, Jul 29, 12:32pm
OK, so what would your advice in #3 do differently to my advice in #7 .

Edit to add: My apologies, I've just done some reading on fast start and I see a restart performs a cold shutdown and restart of the system. I always disable fast start so never bothered to look into what actually happens, always assumed restart and shut down wrote to the hiberfile.sys.

lythande1, Jul 29, 12:41pm
Firefox is a browser, as is Chrome and Edge.

Search engines are google, bing, yahoo and the like.

snoopy221, Jul 29, 12:44pm
I have been clicking on the E ( for Edge, I presume) on the upper address bar and
when I click onto the 'windows' pane at the top left, nothing happens. That means I can't even close down the machine if I want to

Is it just me wondering if these items should be on the bottom?

nice_lady, Jul 29, 12:45pm
Yeah they're not the same. If restart and shut down wrote to the hiberfile.sys it'd be very simple to test that theory out by shutting down/restart with something open on the screen be it a file or a process. Of course when you hibernate in such a situation that file/process will 're-appear' on screen when you get back to windows.

nice_lady, Jul 29, 12:48pm
What do you mean 'upper address bar' ? EXACT description will help. A screen shot will help more.

Oh btw heres a simple way to shut down:

RIGHT clik the mouse on the start button, (bottom left of the screen), ONE time then you'll get a menu.

nice_lady, Jul 29, 12:56pm
And OP what about #12/13 ?

hulloitsme, Jul 29, 12:58pm
OK, this is probably your best option. Do the following and when in restore, restore to a date & time before these problems started happening.

Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select the Power Image> Restart.

After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options >System Restore.

After you've done the restore, get back to us please.

nice_lady, Jul 29, 1:01pm
Please say why restore will help ?

It's nothing but going to put the computer back to prior to the update that seems to have caused the issues. How long do you imagine the computer will be ok before that update comes in again and the same issues happen ?

loud_37, Jul 29, 2:00pm
Not always, mines on the right as that where I like it.

colin433, Jul 29, 3:13pm
I did what you said, and turned off the machine and back again, and whaddyaknow, everything is back like it was, I have sound back, I have my favourites back.

Thank you SO much for a sensible reply to this old lady. It's times like this that we need our trademe friends.

meanwhile I have been playing scrabble with my friends using firefox to get there, and I like some of the firefox features, I'm going to go there again, and see if I still have sound when I use it. I particularly like that it puts a red line under my typos, of which there are plenty these days.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)