Replacing hard drive

loey, May 6, 10:20am
Is it very difficult to replace a hard drive in a laptop? Have watched a few YouTube videos and seems simple enough. It's a dell inspiron n7010

peanuts37, May 6, 11:02am

loey, May 6, 12:09pm
Thanks I have seen this before. Looks simple!

nice_lady, May 6, 12:37pm
Be aware that just physically taking the old drive out and putting a new one in will NOT result in you having a useable computer. The new drive needs to have either Windows installed on it, (and a myriad of other crap you might want also), or the old system needs to be Imaged/cloned onto the new drive.

ians2, May 6, 12:45pm
I replaced my 750 gig driive in my HP laptop with a 256 gig SSD and found it real easy.
The procedure was-
1 - clone disc via USB port witth adaptor cable. This transferred the operatIing system
2 - physically swap discs and fire up laptop to try it out.

Easy. Probably took longer to clone disk than to swap.

nice_lady, May 6, 12:48pm
Yep and an SSD will dramatically improve the user experience of that machine !

ianab, May 6, 2:08pm
The physical swap is usually pretty easy, 5 mins with a small screwdriver.

Getting the operating system and your software / data onto the new drive is what takes a bit more time / planning.
1 - You can clone the existing drive using software and a USB adaptor, IF the system is currently running sweet. If you have problems, don't go that way as you will just move any problems to the new disk.
2 - You can make "factory restore media" from your existing system onto a USB stick or DVDs. Then install the new blank drive, but boot off the restore media. This will set up the machine as it came from the factory. You will still need to install other data, recover your data from backups, and do all the updates. But you get a "clean" system.
3 - With Win10 you can download the current install media and create a setup USB stick. Boot off that and install a blank Win10 installation on the new disk. It will activate again as your hardware will be recognised by the MS activation server. This gives you a blank and generic Win10 install, with none of the manufacturers pre-loaded crapware. Again you have to re-install your software and recover your data.

Either of those methods should work, some a quicker and easier than others. I do prefer the blank generic install myself as you get a lean, clean Win10 installation, without the bloatware.

Just keep the old disk safe. If for any reason things go wrong you can always plug it in again, and start the process again. The new disk can easily be wiped clean if you mess things up. About the only fatal error would be to clone the blank disk over top of the old disk. Then you have 2 blank disks. Even then, option 3 would still work, even if you have to borrow a friends PC to make the USB instal.

andrew6661, May 6, 2:52pm
SSD is so much better. Im going to try getting one. My friend told me the OS boots up in like 10 secs.

mrfxit, Dec 5, 7:51am
General speed increases in the real world would be between 20% & 40% faster.
Partly from the fresh install & mostly from the SSD.
Fresh install is best because the o/s will load fresh drivers (etc) for the SSD.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)